Monday, May 24, 2010

The Vigil

On Saturday night, Eddie and I held a 3.5 hour vigil at The Original 24-Hour Hot Cake House on Powell blvd. We arrived at 11:30pm and stayed until around 3AM. I'm currently in the process of compiling a short documentary about our experiences there (this will probably be shown during my presentation), but I have to work out the audio because the background noise is completely overbearing in all of the footage.

Until the film is produced, here are a few photos.

A major inspiration of the undertaking was this This American Life episode, where Ira Glass and his team decide to spend a full 24-hours in a 24-hour diner in Chicago, The Golden Apple, interviewing every single patron in the joint. Unfortunately, due to lack of courage and resources, Eddie and I could only aspire to do it as big-scale as they did.

Regardless, the episode is really great, so if you have a second, it's worth your time. Some incredibly rich stories and characters. LISTEN HERE.
(Thanks to Nancy D. for recommending I listen to it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment